Ask a Question
Police and Fire
Industry & Business
Sport & Leisure
Air Raid Protection Services (ARP)
During the Second World War, municipalities around Australia were expected to take their own precautions...
Alphington Primary School
Bell Primary School (No. 4309)
On August 13, 1928 Bell State School was opened in Oakover Road, Preston by Robert O'Brien with 480 students...
The Wurundjeri-willam clan, a large clan of Woiwurrung speaking Aboriginal people was divided into 3 smaller...
Convent of the Good Samaritan
In 1857 Australia’s first Archbishop, John Bede Polding, established the Sisters of the Good Samaritan...
East Preston State School (No.4316)
The East Preston State School opened its doors on 28 May 1928. By 1935 it had grown to ten class rooms with...
Fairfield Primary School
The Maesbury (sometimes written as Maysbury) mansion was located on seven acres between Mitchell and...
Merri Creek Aboriginal School
The first Aboriginal schools was established at Narre Narre Warren Protectorate Station in 1842. The teacher...
Northcote Creche and Kindergarten
During the 1920s infant welfare and health became a focus in the Northcote area and women’s committees...
Northcote High School
The Northcote High School, situated where the Inebriates Retreat and Merri Park were located, was the first...
Northcote Primary School (No. 1401)
Northcote Primary School, located in Helen Street was the first state school to open in the Northcote area...
Northcote Technical School
Proposals for a secondary technical school in Northcote had been discussed since the early days of the First...
Penders Grove Primary School
Preston Girls Secondary College
Preston Girls' High school opened in February 1928 and was Preston's first state secondary school. It began...
Preston South Primary School
Preston Technical School (NMIT)
Preston Land Beginnings – 1838Land in Preston was originally surveyed in 1837 and in the following...
Preston West Primary School
Preston West Primary School, located at 383 Murray Road, West Preston, opened on 28th January 1915 and was...
Separation Street, Northcote
Separation Street, Northcote came into existence in July 1851 when property owner Peter Macarthur sold a few...
Thornbury Primary School
Thornbury Primary School opened in Hutton Street Thornbury in 1915. Its first headmaster was James O. Hughes...
Tyler Street State School (No. 1494)
In 1873 education became compulsory for all children. At this time there were very few schools in the Preston...
Wales Street Primary School
Wales Street Primary School, located in Northcote, was officially opened 1st October 1891 though it had begun...
Westgarth Primary School (No. 4177)
Schools in the Northcote area were usually not built in anticipation of population growth, but were put off...
Misses Jessie and Isabel Westgarth opened Westleigh College for the education of young ladies in 1900....
Copyright and Disclaimer