Ask a Question
Police and Fire
Industry & Business
Sport & Leisure
Amcor - The Australian Paper Manufacturing Company
Samuel Ramsden, a Yorkshire man, founded first paper mill in Victoria on the banks of the Yarra River. This...
American Carriage Company
Under the management of William Cox the American Carriage Company made buggies, carriages and wagons for the...
Atyeo and Sons - Stonemasons
Bullen’s Drain was a watercourse which ran down from Preston, along Oakover Road and then down the...
Cable Tram Engine House
The cable tram engine house was constructed in 1889 at a cost of £4,933. At this time the tramway was owned...
The Centenary Dairy in Alphington, started in 1934 when George and Agnes Cutts built a dairy and milk bar on...
The discovery of high quality clay in Northcote and Preston in the 1860s led to a booming trade in clay pit...
The Daley dairy was established on the corner of Collins and James Street Northcote in 1934. A well equipped...
Fitzroy Steam Brick Pipe Tile and Pottery Works
The Fitzroy Steam Brick Pipe Tile and Pottery Works was on Collier Street in Preston. The company was...
Glen Iris Brick Company
The Glen Iris Brick Company’s quarry and brickworks were located on St Georges Rd in Thornbury,...
Grain Merchants, Preston
Around 1885 Thomas Standen established a grain store on the east side of Plenty Road just below Gower Street....
Hamilton's Soap Company
The Hamilton Soap Company was established in Showers Street Preston around 1890 by Mr G. W. N. Hamilton. It...
Hutton's Bacon Factory
James Curruthers Hutton established a 3 storey bacon factory in Preston (off 59 High Street/Oakover Road) in...
John P. Howe
John P. Howe (1854 - 1917) established, in partnership with Sir Herbert Onley, the Howe & Co. Tannery in...
M.Drolz & sons -engineering company
Marshall Brothers Co.
George Marshall and his younger brother James Doiley Marshall ran the Marshall Brothers Co. from 1885. They...
Myrl Shoe Factory
The Myrl shoe factory was established in 1919 by Harold Hayden in Pender Street Thornbury. In 1923 Hayden...
Needlands Timber Merchants
W. S. Neeland arrived in Northcote in 1920, taking over the ironmongers store operated by Alfred Tharratt on...
Northcote Biscuit Company
The Northcote Biscuit Company opened at 1 Bent Street Northcote in 1936/7. A building had been there since at...
Northcote Tile and Pottery Company
Started in 1897 by George Westmoreland, the Northcote Tile and Pottery Company remains in business today at...
P. W. Tomkins - Dairy, Thornbury
The Tomkins family were well known dairymen in the Thornbury area. S. G. Tomkins started his business at 40...
Parker Westmoreland Rosehill Dairy
Platypus Sporting Goods - 422A Plenty Road Preston
The Platypus Sporting Goods factory opened at 442A Plenty Road in 1957. For the next twenty eight years they...
South Preston Tannery, 60-68 High Street South Preston
In the 1890s Paul Hardenack ran a tannery from 46 High Street South Preston. High Street has subsequently...
Sterling Soap Company
Ernest W Mylius originally operated a soap manufacturing business in Adam Street, Richmond, until 1909 when...
Thomas Broadhurst was born in Windsor, Victoria in 1858. In 1874 he began working at Braithwaite's tannery in...
Thomas King - Butcher
In around 1863 Thomas King owned a bluestone building at 756-8 Heidelberg Road, Alphington. It was one of the...
Universal Carriage Works
In 1903 Edward Fellowes established the Universal Carriage Works at 285 – 287 High Street, just across...
W. J. Inglis Store
The W. J. Inglis store at 188 Plenty Road Preston was established in 1921 by William Inglis (1906 - 1975), on...
Copyright and Disclaimer