Ask a Question
Industry & Business
Parks & Gardens
Sport & Leisure
201-203 Bastings Street, Northcote
Bastings Street came into existence in 1853 when the Union Bank sub divided land it had seized from William...
Abbott Street Toll House, Fairfield
In its last days, the old cottage at 1-3 Abbott was little more than a dilapidated collection of rooms...
Bastings Street, Northcote
Bastings Street owes its name to Edwin Bastings who, as an early Northcote pioneer, established a general...
Bennett Street, Alphington
Bennett Street Alphington first appears in the street directories in 1925. It was named after Jim Bennett,...
Broadway first appears in the directories in 1927. Already a few scattered houses were there, with several...
During the early 1850s Arthurton Road in Northcote had a reputation as being the haunt of bushrangers and...
Chandler Highway, Alphington
The Chandler Highway links Alphington to Kew across the old Outer Circle Bridge. This short stretch of road...
Cheddar Road, Reservoir
Edwardes Street Reservoir
The first resident of Edwardes Street Reservoir was Miss Heather Dumas who was listed as living there in...
Eunson Avenue, Northcote
Eunson Avenue in Northcote was named after James Eunson in 1889. The land in that area, west of St. Georges...
Fairfield Horse Tram
The first ever tram to run in Victoria was in Station Street, Fairfield. Looking at it today this is quite a...
Gilbert Road, Preston
In 1853 William Gilbert purchased a plot of land along the north west corner of Jika Jika subdivision 147....
Gladstone Avenue, Northcote
Gladstone Avenue was once part of the estate of Francis Beaver - a member of the Victorian Legislative...
Grange Road, Fairfield
Heidelberg Road has the distinction of being Victoria’s first road outside the confines of the Melbourne...
High Street embankment
The south side of Rucker’s Hill formed a formidable challenge to travellers in the 1840s and 50s. Land...
High Street, Northcote
From Separation or Dennis Streets to Dundas Street was formally known as Plenty Road. High Street, along...
High Street, Preston
High Street, Thornbury
High Street, Westgarth
I'm now talking with Joan Clinnick of Reservoir. Joan has lived all of her life in Reservoir and in fact...
Keith Street, Aplhington
Keith Street, Alphington first appears in the street directories in 1925. It was named after Keith Smith, who...
Langwells Parade, Northcote
The original houses in Langwells Parade owe they existence to the brickworks at the eastern end of this small...
Mitchell Street, Northcote
In the early 1860s Mitchell Street was known as Fitch Street, a name influenced by an early resident in the...
Oamaru Street, Northcote
Oamaru Street was developed as part of the Mount View Estate development, probably during the 1920s. The...
The design of The Plaza Theatre was modelled on the streamline Art Deco style of the Depression era. It was...
Plenty Road, Preston
Ross Street, Alphington
Ross Street Alphington first appears in the street directories in 1925. It was named after Ross Smith , who...
The first sighting of Rucker’s Hill by a white man was probably surveyor Joseph Gellibrand in 1836. After...
Separation Street, Northcote
Separation Street, Northcote came into existence in July 1851 when property owner Peter Macarthur sold a few...
Shier Street, Alphington
Shier Street Alphington first appears in the street directories in 1925. It was named after Wally Shiers, who...
Shops and businesses of Northcote
The first known shop in Northcote was an ironmongers operating from a tent and started by William Shade in...
Shops and businesses of Preston
The first store in Preston was probably Woods general store on the corner of High Street and Wood Street. It...
Smith Street, Alphington
Smith Street Alphington first appears in the street directories in 1926. It was named after the Smith...
Spring Street, Preston
Carroll, Brian & Rule, Ian (1985). Preston: an Illustrated History. Preston: City of Preston.
St Georges Road - Northcote/Preston
Known as Pipe Track because of water pipes beneath centre. Hence trams cannot go down the centre. From 1850s...
Station Street, Fairfield
Street name changes
Adams Street, Preston - previous name James Street. Agnes Street, Northcote - previous name Derby Avenue....
The first toll gate in Victoria was established on Heidelberg Road just over the Merri Creek Bridge from...
Urquart Street, Northcote
Victoria Road, Northcote
The Wales Street shopping strip is typical of the small suburban strips that popped up all over Darebin...
Wood Street, Preston
Wood Street is named after the Wood family who owned the general store on the corner of Wood and High...
Copyright and Disclaimer