The Platypus Sporting Goods factory opened at 442A Plenty Road in 1957. For the next twenty eight years they manufactured cricket balls from this small shop/factory before moving across road to large premise at 365 Plenty Road in 1985.
The company was started in 1931 by Dave Brown in the 1930s and continues to the operated by the same family.
Ater Platypus vacated 442A Plenty Road the shop become home to Expert Sklights which closed down in 2015. The property is not currently utilized as a business.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.