When convict ship Henry Proctor left London on 14 August 1836, convict Charles Burrell had little inclining that 18 years later he would become the Rose, Shamrock and Thistle Hotel’s first publican.
Burrell did not stay long at the hotel and by the next year he had been replaced by James Smith.
After Smith’s death in 1867 the hotel was sold at auction. The hotel at this stage was an eleven roomed building with veranda, a respectable sized bush inn.
After the licence was briefly held by William Sullivan and then John Emery, the licence passed to William Ralph. Ralph also proved transitory and by April 1868 James Phelan became the new publican.
Phelan was to hold the licence for the next twenty one years before Miss Sarah Oliver took over in 1889. Oliver was replaced by her barmaid, Miss Jane Gordon in 1891.
The weatherboard hotel was demolished in 1912 and replaced with the current brick building. It retains the twin gables of the original building. Further work in 1955 saw a new bar and bottle shop and in 1969 the building was expanded again.
From 1927 until the 1980s the Rose, Shamrock and Thistle was in the hands of Mary Cora Negri and her daughter Patricia.
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. Unpublished manuscript.
Edge, Gary (2004). Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne: Darebin Libraries.
Preston Historical Society (1971). Centenary of local government in Preston: 1871 – 1971: a pictorial record with a brief review of Prestons’ progress and achievements. Preston, Vic: City of Preston.