The Prince Alfred Hotel first appeared in 1864 and was probably established to cater for the workers from the tanneries being established in the area. The first publican was George Cann who ran the pub for ten years. After his death in 1874 the license passed to his wife, a common occurrence in those days. She held the license only a short time before John Keady became the new publican in 1876.
John Keady renamed the hotel Keady’s Hotel. The name lasted only as long as Keady and in 1882, Lewis Wiffen, the new publican, changed it back to Prince Alfred Hotel. Wiffen lasted only three years and after that license changed hands on a regular basis. Only Alexander Sutherland, six years and John McNamara, ten years, lasted any great length of time.
In 1920 Catherine Mulqueeny became the 15th and last publican of the Prince Alfred. Two years later the Licenses Reduction Board bought out the license of the hotel and it closed down, Mulqueeny moving on to the Preston Arms Hotel (now Preston Hotel).
After its closure the building alternated between private home, boarding house and from the 1950s to 70s apartments. It is currently used as a factory outlet by Barlow Shoes.
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. Unpublished manuscript.
Darebin Libraries. Local History File: Hotels.
Edge, Gary (2004). Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne: Darebin Libraries.