In 1865 wheelwright Edward Merrall applied for, and received a licence to establish and run the Foresters' Arms Hotel in Preston. It was a modest 3 roomed building located in Preston south.
South Preston was a farming area at this time although the early tanneries were beginning to appear. Almost certainly the hotel was located in the heart of this area along either High Street or Plenty Road between Dundas Street and Bell Street.
The hotel was to continue for nine years, always under Merrall, before disappearing from the records.
The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956).
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. Unpublished manuscript.
Edge, Gary (2004). Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne: Darebin Libraries.