In December 1864 Malcolm McLean made a deed of gift for the development of a public cemetery on Plenty Road Preston. Named Strathallan Cemetery, it was the burial place for many of Preston's pioneer settlers.
In 1925 the cemetery was greatly expanded and became part of the Preston Cemetery. It is estimated that there are over 1000 pioneers and their descendents buried in this part of the cemetery. The earliest internment dates back to the year 1847.