In 1867 John Roberts was granted a liquor licence for the Carters’ Arms Hotel on the corner of High Street and Separation Street Northcote. Roberts was a long time Northcote resident who was to live in Arthurton Road for many years after he ceased owning the hotel.
In 1870 the hotel was briefly run by Edwin Witton, who changed the name of the hotel to Wittons’ Arms Hotel. Roberts later returned as publican and the hotel reverted to its original name.
The hotel was a two storey, rendered brick building, although there is some possibility that it had originally been a corrugated iron building before being rebuilt in the 1890s.
Sometime after Mary Kelly took over the Carters Arms in 1927 the building was completed remodelled with a cupola added to the south west corner of the building, ornamental plasterwork added to the exterior and and the rear of the building extended.
Like all hotels the Carters’ Arms Hotel was adversely affected by the six o’clock closing imposed by the State Government in 1916. On Saturdays the locals would purchase a few bottles of beer before the Carters’ Arms closed and move into the Northcote Brickworks as the back of the hotel to drink in peace and quiet, providing of course that they could avoid the police.
The hotel continued to operate successfully up until the closing of the Northcote Brickworks in 1977. The hotel and part of the brickworks site was later purchased to build the Northcote Central Shopping Centre. In 1989 the hotel was demolished. A solitary glass pane from the hotel still hangs in Toto’s pizza restaurant.
Carters Arms Hotel publicans.
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. Unpublished manuscript.
Edge, Gary (2004). Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne. Darebin Libraries.
Lewis, Robert (2002). The first twenty: recalling 1928-1948. Balwyn East, Vic: Publishing IT.
Various articles 1922-1940 The Argus (Melbourne, Vic : 1848-1956)
Varous articles 1968-1988 Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic: 1882- )