In May 1861 four residents, August Schwaebsch, Albert Fritsche, Moritz Heiner and Edward Hellwig purchased one acre of land for use as a cemetery. The land was situated in Separation Street in Northcote (known at the time as German Lane.)
Ironically only one of the four founding members, Moritz Heiner, is buried in the cemetery.
The cemetery was taken over by Northcote Council in the 1920s. By this time the cemetery had been closed except for holders of Rights of Burial. The occasnioal burial was still taking place up until 1971.
A fully searchable CD ROM of the cemetery including headstone photographs is available for viewing at State Library of Victoria in the Genealogy and Family History Section.
A PDF list of known burials is listed below:
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.