The grocery store at 625 High Street Preston was to see a relatively high turnover of owners during the first quarter of the twentieth century.
Pre-First World War the store was operated by J. T. Coles before Councillor Edmund Allchin briefly operated it during the war. Later, Allchin Tonkin ran the business (from 1918 - 1920) before Charles Pile became the proprietor.
Pile stayed at 625 High Street until 1926 when he moved to new premises at 735 High Street. The business - Regent Economic Stores - was opreated by Charles, and his son Charles Allan, until Charles Pile's death in 1945.
The business was closed down in 1976.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.