Joseph Harvey arrived in Preston around 1893/94 and established himself as a grocer on the west side of High Street near Station Street. He was to remain there until 1904 when he relocated to 624-626 High Street, almost directly across the road. There had been grocers around this site from at least 1894 when James Holmes had a shop there.
Harvey’s new premises was a substantial two storey brick building, rivaling nearby Wood’s store and called Cornwall House. Typically for grocers at that time it supplied a wide variety of products including chaff and grain for livestock, flour, and baked goods for the home and even a tempting array of clothes and materials for the ladies.
The Harvey family continued to operate the store until the end of the Second World War. Under a succession of different owners it continued to operate for as a grocer for many years. By 1971 it was a TAB and in later years was a real estate agents. The building is currently unoccupied.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.