In May 1861 title deeds for a property in Separation Street indicated the local township was known as Cawdortown. This name did not last and within a very short time frame became more popularly known as Upper Northcote.
The Upper was later droppped and the area became known as Northcote.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Swift, William George (1928). The history of Northcote: From its first settlement to a city. Northcote, Vic: Leader Publishing.