Around 1885 Thomas Standen established a grain store on the east side of Plenty Road just below Gower Street. He ran the business for many years before selling it to N. Alexander.
Alexander expaned the business and moved it almost directly across the road to 299 Plenty Road Preston in about 1921. Preston in the 1920s was still largely rural, and with numerous small dairies in the area, Alexander had a ready market for his produce.
The Alexander Chaff and Grain Store closed in 2003 and was converted into apartments.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.
(1935, September 6). Preston Leader (Melbourne, Vic)