In 1853 William Gilbert purchased a plot of land along the north west corner of Jika Jika subdivision 147. At this stage, what was initially known as Elizabeth Street – later, in the 1890s, to become Gilbert Road - was little more than a track.
Land sales along Gilbert Road in 1888 included the Station Estate, Mount Bischoff Estate, Preston Railway Estate and Preston Railway Station Estate.
By the 1890s pig farms – namely those owned by the Thompson and Staples families - dominated the area.
In the 1920s, the established of a tramline along Gilbert Road boosted the popularity of the area.
Carroll, Brian & Rule, Ian (1985). Preston: an Illustrated History. Preston: City of Preston.
Forster, Harley W. (1968). Preston Lands and People. Melbourne: Cheshire.