Alexander Capp and his twin brother, Fred, were born in North Fitzroy on 16 December 1904. After schooling in Fairfield and Collingwood, Capp and his family moved to a dairy farm in Drouin.
Returning to the Darebin area in 1924, the family soon established the first shops in Gilbert Road, on the corner of Miller Street. After marrying, Capp opened a dairy in Goodwin Street, West Preston.
Unhappy about the poor state of the local roads, Capp joined the South Preston Progress Association. He became a Justice of the Peace in 1943 and a Councillor on the Preston City Council in 1947. This, in turn, led to Capp becoming Mayor in 1953.
Capp led an active career which included:
• Serving as Commissioner of the Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works;
• Serving with the Victorian Road Transport Association;
• President of the Northcote Bowling Club;
• President of the Rivoli Football Club;
• Life Governor of the Royal Children’s’ Hospital
Capp finally ceased being a councillor in 1978 and died three years later.
Death index Victoria 1921-1985 : index to deaths in Victoria [CD-ROM]. (1998). Melbourne, Australia: Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Preston Historical Society. (1968). Brief biographies of prominent Preston People. Preston, Vic: Author