68 James Street is an early Italianate mansion built in 1881 by Frederick Catherwood. At the time is was called Yarrock. Auctioned in 1883 it became the home of retired graziers Patrick and Hugh McGuinness.
Mrs Mary Phillips established a private hospital there in about 1907 and was advertising in the Northcote Leader by the end of that year. It was known at that time as St. Heliers. The hospital advertised itself as being for “indisposed ladies”. Mrs. Emma Gilchrist later established herself as the nurse there, remaining there until the mid 1930s.
In about 1935/6 Mrs M. Trembath took over the hospital and it became known as Colchester Private Hospital. It was to remain in operation unitl the early 1950s when it became the Colchester Guest House.
Note that Merri Street changed its name to James Street circa 1923.
Northcote Leader (Melbourne), Newspaper, Northcote 1882 –
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974.(1974)[Microfiche] Melbourne: Sands & McDougall
Ward, Andrew. Darebin Heritage Review 2000.(2001) Burwood,Vic: City of Darebin