The cable tram engine house was constructed in 1889 at a cost of £4,933. At this time the tramway was owned and operated by a private company and ran from Clifton Hill to Northcote.
The service failed and was later purchased by the Northcote Council.
In 1920 the tram service became part of the Metroplitan Tramways Board.
The building is now used as a car repair shop.
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000, Vol. 2. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin.