Job Smith's farm "Thornbury", which was located at the end of Smith Street near Strettle Street, was named after a farm near Smith's birthplace in England.
In 1854 he bought a 17 acre block fronting the Merri Creek from John H. Patterson. When the land prices continued to fall, Patterson panicked and sold other blocks to Smith, who farmed it successfully and sold during the land boom of the 1880s, making a profit of over 1,500%. In Job Smith's paddocks, north of the Old Pilgrim Inn, the bullock teams and other stock would spell while their masters indulged at the inn.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.