Gilbert Robinson (1876–1933) served as a councillor for the City of Preston from 1917 to 1933 and including terms as Mayor in 1922-23, 1928-29 and 1929-30.
Robinson had been born in St. Arnaud in 1876 before moving to Preston with his family in 1894. After a brief period in South Africa, Robinson moved back to Preston and began to involve himself in local politics. Amongst Robinson’s achievements included the acquisition of Edwardes Park and the introduction of electricity to the city. Robinson was a keen supporter of services to children and was responsible for the establishment of the Preston Truby King Centre (child welfare centre) as well as his contributions to the development of Northcote Boys’ High School and the Preston High and Domestic Arts School for Girls.
After a long illness Robinson died in 1933. After his death, the Council bestowed the name "the Gilbert E. Robinson" Park, on a park formerly known as the High Street Park, in recognition of his many years of service.
Preston Historical Society (1968). Brief biographies of prominent Preston People. Preston, Vic: Author.
JUBILEE EDITION. (1935, September 6). Preston Leader (Melbourne, Vic: 1888 -)