John Thomson became the Town Clerk for Northcote in 1923, following W. G. Swift who had previously held the position for 38 years. Thomson was to guide Northcote's future for the next 33 years, still working up until his death in 1956.
In gratitude for his service a memorial clock was placed on High Street near the Merri Creek and a part of the Separation Street quarry was set aside for the Thomson Park. It was later absorbed into the car park for the Northcote Plaza.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.