The Regent Theatre opened on 8th August 1925. The films selected for its Grand Opening being "Argentine Love" and "Hurricane Kid". These silent movies were supported by the Regent Grand Symphony Orchestra.
Prices ranged from 9d for a stall seat to 2/2 for reserved seating. Weekend viewing was more expensive.
In 1931 it closed down for renovations, reopening the following year. It ceased operations as a picture theatre in 1970 and was used as a reception hall for many years after, known as Midas receptions The building is now known as the Thornbury Theatre and is used for functions, weddings, live music and other events.