Established at 216 High Street (the corner of High Street and Bastings Street)in June 1912 by the Northcote Picture Theatre Company, it was opened by Robert McLeish who remained its general manager while he became as well, the President of the Cinematograph Exhibitors' Association and Chairman of the Hoyts Victorian Executive. It was designed by local architect, Edward Twentyman, jnr. and remains perhaps the earliest surviving picture theatre designed in Victoria. It possessed a balcony, stalls, its own electricity generator and a stage which was adaptable for vaudeville. It was the first building to be lighted by electricity. Amalgamated Pictures Ltd supplied the theatre with its silent cinema and the Northcote Mayoral ball was held there in late 1912. It later beacame part of the Hoyts' chain of cinemas. While it was operating as a cinema, it was used as the setting for the film "Night Club" in 1952. The cinema closed in 1960.
Having been used as a dance studio, it is now used as a Reception Centre, and was used as a pilot for Darebin Council's facade restoration program in 1996. It had been extensively restored inside by the owners and refurbishments strictly considered original character.
Butler, Graeme (1983). City of Northcote Urban Conservation Study.
Northcote Leader. December 4, 1996.
Pike, Andrew and Cooper, Ross (1981). Australian Film 1900-1977. Melbourne : Oxford University Press and AFI.