The house at 53 Lucerne Crescent, Alphington - known as "St Elmo" - is a double fronted, late Victorian, brick family home. It is one of several houses that were part of the Lucerne Estate, established by A.D. Hodgson in 1885.
George W. Whitcher, a Fitzroy law clerk , bought lots 61-3 and began construction on the house in 1899.
Unlike other Alphington houses built in the same era, "St. Elmo" is designed in the late Victorian Classical manner, with polychrome brickwork and a cast-iron verandah on three sides.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.