The Edwardian building "Mandalay" at 217 Clarke Street, was built in 1912, alongside "Lugano" at 215 Clarke Street, by Lawrence E. Edwards, a master builder. Edwards lived in "Lugano" and leased "Mandalay"; firstly to Hugh Haynes, an accountant, then Eric Lesley, a chemist and later, in 1916, Alice Murphy, also a chemist.
The building's floor plan was the right-handed version of "Lugano's".
While much of "Lugano " has been retained, "Mandalay" has been altered and extended.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.