"Lugano" - a Federation house was built on Rucker's Hill at 215 Clarke Street, Northcote - was part of Crown Portion 95, purchased by Charles J. Gerrard in 1840 for 4 pounds and 15 shillings per acre.
In 1854, Danish landowner Severin Salting subdivided the land and created Clarke Street.
"Lugano" stands alongside "Mandalay" at 217 Clarke Street, and both were built in 1912 by master builder Laurence Edwards. "Lugano" is the left hand plan and "Mandalay" the right hand plan , otherwise they are identical.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.