The Preston Ladies' Benevolent society was formed in 1888 with the aim of relieving 'distress among the less fortunate' in the Preston area. Mrs L Lyons was the inaugural president.
The society held monthly meetings where the cases were discussed but no applicants were refused assistance. One of the roles of the society was to work with the Almoners from the hospitals to supply special cases with invalid food. Mrs Allchin, a long serving president held the position for forty-nine years and died in December 1946. The Society operated under the umbrella of the Victorian Association of Benevolent Societies.