In August 1953 John Charles Potter was elected unopposed to the Northcote Central Ward. He was one of four Labor candidates who were elected unopposed that year. The Central Ward had previously been held by long serving councillor Fred Capp who had just retired.
Potter was a long time Northcote resident, having lived at 4 Herbert Street Northcote with his wife Una, since the early 1930s. Potter had already been active in the local community, having served as a Justice of the Peace. An engineer, Potter had been the manager of an electrical engineering company before establishing his own company in Station Street Fairfield
In 1959, having faced and won six council elections (three unopposed) Potter was elected Mayor of Northcote. His credentials for the job were impeccible. He was Chair of the Building Committee, the Light Committe and the Committee of the Whole Council. His other community engagements included being a Trustee of the Batman Park Kindergarten (as well as being a former President), and Chairman of the Helen Street State School Parents Committee.
Una Potter was equally active in the community, being a member of the PANCH Auxillary, Northcote Ladies Benevolent Society and a member of the Batman Park Kindergarten Committee.
The Northcote Leader in August 1959, commented of its new Mayor that he had, a love of travelling the highways and byways of Australia and was a keen duck hunter and fisherman.
Potter retired from the Northcote Council in 1973.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Northcote Leader, 5 August 1953
Northcote Leader, 9 September 1959