In 1888, Charles Harrison built a row of Victorian, two storey, terrace houses at 186-192 Clarke Street, close to High Street, on the crest of Ruckers Hill.
Harris built the houses with facades at the back and front so that Geroge Plant's trotting track - on the flat land below Ruckers Hill, east of High street and directly below the row of terraces - could be viewed. The end house in the row was intented as the track manager's office, with a private viewing platform on the roof - an excellent vantage point to view the races - and provisions for off-course betting. It never eventuated; economic conditions worsened and Harrison had to mortgage the property to a Building Society who put the houses up for lease.
For many years the terraces overlooked a bowling green and commission houses. The bowling green and club have since been replaced with the Ruckers Hill Aged Care facility.
OUR PROUD PAST. (1982, April 4). Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic. : 1882 - )
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000, Vol. 2. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin