"Bokhara" - a historic homestead at 1 View Street, Alphington - was built in 1892, by local butcher Alfred Pridham, at the top of a property by the Yarra River that was first subdivided in 1854.
By 1900 Pridham was leasing this property to John Hinxman, a dairyman, then to William McDonald. 5 years later a tobacco merchant, David W. Keir, bought "Bokhara" and also leased it, first to Joseph Davis, a fruit merchant, then to John S. Cougle, a butcher.
After 1910, Keir lived on the property himself but it seems, prior to this, he erected a strange tower to the north of the house. He remained there for about 35 years, selling to James Robert McNabb in the late 1940s.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.