"Beaumont" at 11 Bastings Street, Northcote, is the oldest known mansion constructed in Northcote during the pastoral phase of its history and among a small number of houses which date from the 1860s. It was built for the prosperous fruit and produce merchant John Gull Johnson.
By 1900 a solicitor named Edgar Johnson occupied "Beaumont", but sold to Mr Hearre the following year. Within the next decade, Northcote's tanner, Joshua Pitt, had commenced a 20 year tenure. After his death, the Northcote Council bought the deceased estate and turned the building into a kindergarten/creche.
The building is now known as the Annie Dennis Children's Centre; named in deference to Mrs Annie Dennis, who was responsible for the Council acquiring the property in 1928, and the centre opening in 1929.
Butler, Graeme (1982). City of Northcote urban conservation study. Alphington: City Of Northcote.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.