German born Carl Oldenberg started his saddlery in High Street, South Preston in the early 1890s.
Around 1902 he moved to 417 High Street, Northcote. It was a low wooden building on the corner of Elm Street and High Street. Oldenberg’s business included all types of saddle repair, with a speciality being made of collars. Harnesses cost from £4 to £5, whilst collars ranged from 10s to £1.
At the commencement of World War One Oldenberg gave a generous donation to the Ladies Benovolent Fund to demonstrate his loyalty but after relocating to Robbs Parade he closed his business down in 1915.
The Elm Street property was cleared and new shops built on the site.
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.
Northcote Leader (Northcote, Vic. : 1882 - ).
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.