In the early 1860s Mitchell Street was known as Fitch Street, a name influenced by an early resident in the street, R. A. Fitch.
Sometime between 1871 and 1874 the street changed its name to Mitchell Street. By this time Fitch was no longer living in the area and Thomas Mitchell, a well known butcher, had established his business on the corner of High Street and Mitchell Street.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.