The Native Police Corps was established in 1837 by William Lonsdale to help police local Aboriginal tribes. The Native Police Corp was located in Narre Narre Warren, a site chosen in agreement with local tribes but well outside their normal range. When their commander, Christian de Villiers was replaced by the local missionary, George Langhorne, the Corps refused to serve and was disbanded.
The Corps was reformed the following year, with de Villiers again in command. It was relocated to Jolimont, closer to Government supervision. In 1842 the Corps relocated again, this time to the junction of the Merri Creek and Yarra River at Yarra Bend Reserve.
After the Corps based themselves at Yarra Bend, many of the Aboriginal tribes began to congregate in the area, forcing the abandonment of the Narre Narre Warren station.
The unit was disbanded in 1853 when its current commander, Henry Dana died.
Clark, Ian D. & Heydon, Toby (2004). A bend in the Yarra: A history of the Merri Creek Protectorate Station and Merri Creek Aboriginal School 1841-1851. Canberra (A.C.T.): Aboriginal Studies Press.