The Knockando farm was located on the corner of Heidelberg Road and Chandler Highway on what is currently the site of the Australian Paper Mills. The earliest known occupant of the farm was Dr. Allan Ranald McDonald. In February 1869 McDonald advertised for a man to
“…drive, milk three cows and be otherwise useful.”
Clearly the farm was more of a hobby farm than a full time commercial enterprise.
Dr. McDonald died in 1879 and was interned at the Melbourne General Cemetery on 8th April. In October of the same year the property was offered for lease, being listed as being 30 acres, divided into a garden, orchard and three paddocks.
The next month there was an auction at the property where a number of household goods were offered for sale by Mr. J. H. Condor. These included:
* Dining table and three leaves;
* Dinner wagon;
* Chest of drawers;
* Hall table, umbrella stand and hat stand;
* Garden furniture and tools;
* Pure bred Aldernay bull
* 6 superior cows;
There is no indication whether these were the former belongings of the late Dr. McDonald.
On the 5th February 1883 the farm was offered for sale by the executors of Dr. McDonald’s will. The property was now known as Woodlands farm. The property was listed as being of 29 acres and stretching from the Yarra River towards the Alphington railway station. It included a ten roomed house and a coachhouse, stables, man’s room (servants quarters) and a harness room.
A subsequent auction of household goods in March 1883 showed the current occupant of the property was Mr. J. H. Hallburton, Esq. who was returning to England.
The property was soon subdivided and in 1887 58 villa sites were sold as part of the Knockando Estate. In 1919 the farm was demolished as the Australian Paper Mills established a paper mill on the site.
(1869, February 2). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
(1873, April 7). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
(1897, October 30). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
(1883, March 10). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)
(1884, December 13). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956)