German born Heinrich Lehrke (1841-1935) arrived in the colony of Victoria in 1858. He spent many years gold prospecting before purchasing an established dairy at 359 High Street Northcote in 1882. Lehrke expanded the business from 200 quarts of milk per day to 700 quarts and increasing his milk carts from two to five.
Lehrke and his wife, Sarah, continued to live in the area long after ceasing work at the dairy, Sarah dying in 1927 and Heinrich in 1935.
Victoria and its metropolis. Melbourne. McCarron, Bird & Co. 1888.