M. Clyde Jones was a Northcote Councillor from 1929-1930 to 1951-1952, and was Northcote Mayor in 1933-1934.
He stood for the Northcote council North Ward 1929 and lived at 10 Gooch Street (Thornbury) from around 1918. His father was a councilor in Tasmania representing Sheffield Borough, where he served for over 40 years. He was also President a number of times of that borough.
Clyde Jones worked in the Tasmanian Railways and, after moving to Victoria, later became a partner in the firm of Boyd & Jones, which he managed (c1929). He was President of the Federation of Retail Grocers Association of Australia and President of the United Retailers Council of Victoria. One of the founders of the Grocery Technical Class established at the Melbourne Technical School (RMIT). He was the President of the Parents' Committee of the 2nd Thornbury Boy Scout Troop.
Clyde-Jones Reserve on the corner of Clyde & Victoria Streets, Thornbury, and Clyde Street are named in his honour.