Benjamin Johnson arrived in Preston in 1932 to take over the joint role of Town Clerk and City Engineer. He was to hold both positions until 1936 when he relinquished the role of Town Clerk. He was to continue as City Engineer until 1950.
Johnson played a significant role in the development of Preston in the years preceding and immediately following the Second World War. He led the way in redeveloping Preston’s drainage system and encouraged the development of industrial estates on the outskirts of Preston. Johnson was also responsible for converting several open quarries into parks and gardens.
Preston Historical Society (1968). Brief biographies of prominent Preston People. Preston, Vic: Author.