Fred Pike (1872-1933) arrived in Preston around 1889, and established a business in a small wooden building, on the corner of High and Tyler streets. By 1890 he had relocated to a large premises at 131 Plenty Road, Preston, on the corner of Plenty Road and Yann Street. The business was to operate from that site for the next seventy years.
At various times Fred's business was described as an ironmongery, a general store and a painting and decorating business, however its primary business would appear to have been as an ironmongery. One of the features of their store was a life size model of a highlander, complete with kilt on the roof of the veranda.
Frederick Pike was succeeded in the business by his son Frederick George Pike and later by his grandsons Frederick C. and John Pike. The business continued until 1968 before closing down.
City of Preston (1922). Preston and its beauty spots. Preston, Vic.: City of Preston.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.