The Hamilton Soap Company was established in Showers Street Preston around 1890 by Mr G. W. N. Hamilton. It ran between High Street and St. Georges Road and consisted of a corrugated iron shed which was 75 feet long and 20 feet wide. Inside it housed several boilers for boiling the soap, the crude materials being provided from another factory.
The raw soap was mixed with various chemicals before being boiled for three to four hours. It was then set in 40lb blocks and allowed to dry. Once dry, which took 48 hours, the blocks were cut and wrapped or placed in tins ready for sale. Bars of soap were available for sale for 1s, 6d and 4½d.
The business had closed by 1904.