John Howse established his butchers shop at 181 Plenty Road in 1893. Within a couple of years he was trading as the Howse Brothers and was to remain there until the First World War. Howse also operated a second butcher shop in Northcote.
John Howse served two terms as a Preston councillor, in 1893-1897 and 1900-1912. He was Shire President in 1903-1904.
By 1921 the business was being operated by J. H. Stewart. The property was later renumbered 193 Plenty Road.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.