With his younger brother William, Walter was one of Northcote’s earliest shopkeepers. He established a carpentry business in 1865 at 318 High Street, Northcote just up from William’s ironmongery near the Separation Street intersection.
Walter died in 1911 and after being vacant for a couple of years, his old shop was demolished in 1916 and new shops built there.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.