The W. J. Inglis store at 188 Plenty Road Preston was established in 1921 by William Inglis (1906 - 1975), on the site of an old chemical factory. The company prospered, established further branches in Geelong and Colac.
William’s son Stanley took over the company in 1946 and ran it until the 1970s when it was sold to H. Parsons Coburg Timber and Hardware Pty. Ltd.
Sands and McDougall’s Melbourne and Suburban Directory 1864- 1974. [Microfiche]. (1974). Melbourne, Australia: Sands & McDougall.