The first Wesleyan Methodist Church and school was built around1854, and for three decades it was Northcote's chief public building. In 1869 the building of a bluestone church was built on land opposite the school at 251 High Street. It was completed in July 1870. Census figures of the following year showed that the Wesleyan Methodists were the second largest denomination in Northcote after the Anglicans.
In 1977 the Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregational churches came together to form the Uniting Church of Australia. As a result, this historic Methodist Church was sold and became St Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church.
The original building is currently used as bar and music venue known as the "Wesley Anne”
Lemon, Andrew (1983). The Northcote Side of the River. North Melbourne: Hargreen.