In 1876, Northcote Presbyterian community received Government land near the corner of Cunningham and High Streets, Northcote. They built a timber church that was expanded upon in 1877.
The first minister appointed was the Rev. Duncan Fraser who became prominent in many areas of the Northcote community. Apparently he was a keen amateur scientist and was the first to demonstrate the uses of the telephone in Victoria.
The foundation stone for the James Street church, since converted into high end residential dwellings, was laid in February 1894, by Cr. A McIntosh; services began in May of the same year.
In 1896 the old Cunningham Street church building was moved to James Street and served as a Sunday school until it was replaced in 1906 by the current construction.
Ward, Andrew (2001). Darebin Heritage Review 2000, Vol. 3. Burwood, Vic: City Of Darebin.