Sacred Heart was Preston's first Catholic Church, built in 1889 in Bell Street. Archbishop Carr officiated at the opening of the church. The old wooden church met the needs of the congregation until 1925 when a new church was built - opening on 18 July, 1936. The old wooden church was moved to Viola Street Reservoir and became St Gabriel's.
Carroll, Brian & Rule, Ian (1985). Preston: an Illustrated History. Preston: City of Preston.