Fairfield Baptist Church was the first Baptist church in Victoria and it was built in one day!
Initial efforts to start a Baptist church in Fairfield were made in September 1910 by Northcote’s Rev. G.J Mackay and Rev. H.H. Jeffs of Clifton Hill. Church services began in October 1911 but, because no suitable building was available, the congregation was forced to meet at a private house.
Foundations for the new church were laid the afternoon of October 11, 1911 and the church was begun on October 18, 1911 and finished by 10 pm the same evening.
Labour was carried out by 130 volunteers and the Baptist Ladies prepared 1000 meals to feed the workers.