For many years, early settlers of the Baptists denomination worshiped in a hall on High Street (near Percival Street - later known as Library Hall). There was a period when no services where held, but from September 1915 regular church times resumed. In 1916 a Sunday school was added and the following year land was purchased and building commenced for the current building at 734 High Street, Reservoir.
President of the Baptist Union of Victoria, Mr. Evan Rees laid the foundation stone. The church was constituted in 1920 and a Rev. S.M. Potter became the first pastor. The church went through a few names changes; initially it was known as the Preston Baptist Church, then the North Preston Baptist Church and finally the Regent Baptist Church.