This club was formed in 1905 and was originally known as the Preston Presbyterian Football Club. The club was linked to St. David’s Presbyterian Church in David St, Preston. This church later moved to the corner of Cramer and Jessie streets. The club was known locally as the “Presbys”. They played in the Metropolitan Churches Football Association and were successful both on and off the field immediately, finishing 4th in their debut season while attracting over 600 people to their first annual meeting. However in 1906 Preston Presbyterians were thrown out of the Church league, although the reasons for their expulsion are not known. At a meeting in April of 1907 the club resolved to change its name to Preston Districts and apply to join the VJFA.
The club became a ‘seconds’ team for Preston, then playing in the VFA. Preston Districts struggled when the entered the VJFA in 1907, not surprising given their reliance on fringe players from the Preston senior side, who were also struggling mightily in the VFA. They shared Preston Park with the senior club, though were also known to have played matches at a ground called “Preston North”, which was probably in Reservoir. In 1912 Preston was forced by the VFA to merge with Northcote, so the officials of Preston transferred the club’s pennants and trophies to Preston Districts, as well as assuming most of the junior club’s executive positions. In this way, the officials were able to preserve the traditions of the Preston Football Club. By 1915 the club was known simply as Preston. After World War One, Preston started to dominate the VJFA, eventually earning a return to the VFA in 1926.
Membrey, Brian. (2004). Where we come from: Celebrating Preston Football Club’s admission to senior VFA ranks in 1903. Preston: Northern Bullants Football Club.