A bowling club in Preston had first been mooted as early as 1890, when a committee was assembled to discuss the creation of a club and green. At that time nothing came from it and so Preston had to wait until 1908 when a new initiative was successful in bringing lawn bowls to Preston.
Four local residents, Mr Broadhurst, Mr Zwar, Mr Walker and Mr Braithwaite purchased a block of land in High Street, next to the post office. The club’s members took out debentures, with the aim of repaying the cost of the land within twelve months. On February 19, 1909, the club’s green was opened with the inaugural president Lt. Col. Braithwaite playing the opening match against the incumbent President of the Victorian Bowling Association, George Clauscen. The club entered the pennant competition in 1910 and also developed a ladies’ croquet green on the High St site where they continued to play until 1925. At that time the club’s current home on the corner of Murray Road and Spring St was acquired. The building was extended in 1980.
Ladies were first admitted in time for the 1925-26 season. One of their number, E. Selwood, would win the prestigious Victorian Champion of Champions title in 1941.